Νέα βροχή Διαττόντων απ'τον Κομήτη 209P/LINEAR

Προτεινόμενες αναρτήσεις

Μετά από προσεκτική εξέταση των video έπιασα συνολικά μόνο πέντε διάττοντες, δύο (2) Καμηλοπαρδαλείδες και τρεις σποραδικούς, πιθανότατα η-Υδροχοΐδες.

Τα στοιχεία για τους CAM:

1. ώρα εμφάνισης: UT 05:23:42, mag -0.1

2. ώρα εμφάνισης: UT 06:04:25, mag -0.6

Μια απογοήτευση κυριάρχησε στις αναφορές των απανταχού Καναδών παρατηρητών, παραθέτω μερικά reports:

I was out for over 3 hours in SW Ontario. I saw 4 sporadics and nothing else. So much for the predicted meteor storm. Such a disappointment.

Ontario Observer

It is now 8:15 UTC and I've seen nothing for the last hour. I did see seven very bright meteors with long trains, one bright short meteor low over Lake Huron, and several exceptionally fast reddish meteors that were moving from east to west. The ISS popped out of earth's shadow and made a brilliant pass, plus many other satellites, including several flashing tumblers. I had a few bright meteors go through the camera fields, so later today I'll search the images and see if they were picked up.

Dave

A few of us were out at the Hamilton Centre Observatory. Got 6 pix of a nice pass of the ISS starting at 3:39EDT (7:39Z).

Saw a total of about 4 meteors from the right patch of sky. Approximately 3:15EDT saw a bright (mag +1 ?) one that descended from the radiant through the scoop of Uma.

Am amazed its not in the image - this is when I discovered the intervalometer was cranking out too big a gap between frames. ARGH. Also, my eyes clearly aren't what they used to be, as the stars aren't well focused in the images now that I've had a look at the RAWs on the PC. We were clouded out about 3:45 to the north.

Skyglow was really bad, quite orange, much worse than I remember. SQM-L said 19.87. We watched the thin crescent moon rise in the clear to the east-southeast.

Good luck to those of you west of here!

Cheers

Colin

My report from Pickering, ON:

zero Cams between UTC 0645-08:00 (EDT 0245-04:00), 2 sporadics, limiting mag 4.5, sky clear until UTC 08:00.

Frank Dempsey

Debra and I were observing from our 2nd floor deck, with a glass of Inniskillin Zinfandel, BC VQA Okanagan Valley.

We cannot see the entire sky, only west of the meridian because of the roof. I saw one candidate meteor and a handful of sporadics.

Peter

Okanagan Centre

Only saw one meteor. Judging by the description it was likely a sporadic even though it came from the right direction.

- Observed from 7:00 to 8:45 UT.

- Took one 5 minute break at 8 UT to stretch and grab a snack to keep me warm (a bowl of peanut M&Ms heated in the microwave for 20 seconds).

- Saw a dozen satellites, 75% of which headed north to south. Not sure why there would be a bias.

Chris Baldock

London

I woke up at 03:25 EDT (07:25 UT), and watched out my north- and west-facing windows through 04:00 EDT (08:00 UT). Transparency was poor; I could only see stars down to about magnitude 3.5. I saw nary a single meteor. Just to prove I was awake, I did see a nice passage of the ISS around 03:40 EDT (07:40 UT), confirmed on Heavens-Above.

Geoff Gaherty

Foxmead Observatory

Coldwater, Ontario, Canada

Well, if that was a storm anywhere, then it was not last night. Maybe two more meteors from the radiant the entire time were seen by me and possibly two more from others. On the heels of ISOFF, the general public is going to stop listening to us about exciting things happening in the sky...

Clear Skies!

MK

Near Ayr Ontario I saw 4 meteors in about 45 minutes of which 3 were likely "Cams". I saw one very red meteor as others have noted but it was low so it might have been an atmospheric effect. However, all were quite fast.

This site was barely out of the suburbs so was rather poor.

The ISS appearance passing just under Polaris was quite neat.

Clark

Observing from Long Sault Conservation Area north of Clarington, ON, I saw 2 field meteors and 1 potential 4th mag Camelopardalid between 0100 EDT and 0305 EDT when I decided getting home while I was still awake outweighed the chance of this turning into any kind of storm.

On the upside, I did notice SS Cyg was in outburst and I saw R CrB for the first time in many months so my time wasn't wasted

Andy

About a dozen London Centre members spent the night at our site west of Fingal, Ontario. We had a lot of fun hanging out together, but the meteor shower was a disappointment, despite lovely clear skies and comfortable wind/temp conditions. Each of us saw more sporadics than meteors from the new shower. Maybe there were a dozen meteors from Camelopardalis. I hadn't realized before we started that the 18,000 m/s speed of the meteoroid debris would make these meteors appear slower than most others, but the few that I saw personally did indeed take longer. That made it interesting, for sure. So indeed, our observations support the existence of the new shower. Just not nearly so exciting as we had hoped.

PJ

The shower was definitely there in the radars, and there were enough very nice slow bright meteoroids seen at Elginfield to make the night well worthwhile. I was observing with Paul Wiegert, one of the predictors of the shower, and Tolis Christou from Armagh, where Dave Asher and Rob McNaught had made a similar prediction but with differing peaks. The banter around 100-fold factors in well-caveated model predictions, and the discussion on whether 2 meteors constitute a peak, were as enjoyable as the observing.

David L. Clark

RASC London Centre

https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/search/q=%20author%3A%22tsamis%2C%20v.%22&sort=date%20desc%2C%20bibcode%20desc

"Αστέρας εισαθρείς, αστήρ εμός. Είθε γενοίμην ουρανός, ως πολλοίς όμμασιν εις σε βλέπω."

Πλάτων

Σύνδεσμος για σχόλιο
Κοινή χρήση σε άλλους ιστότοπους

Αναφορά από έναν ακόμη επίδοξο θαυμαστή των Καμηλοπαρδαλίδων:

Στήσαμε στο Elginfield κοντά στο London του Ontario.

Ωραία βραδιά, χωρίς σχεδόν κανένα σύννεφο.

Είδα κάμποσους, όχι περισσότερους από 10 ενώ

έπιασα και δύο λαμπρούς με την κάμερα,

έναν στις 02:02:39 και ο άλλος στις 04:03:27 UT.

Εν τω μεταξύ η ομάδα εδώ, από το Meteor Physics Group

του University of Western Ontario, τα έστησε όλα:

φασματογράφους, intensified cameras, ακόμα και

EMCCD (ακριβά!) ενώ το (μόνιμα εγκατεστημένο)

ραντάρ άρχισε να βλέπει CAMs από νωρίς το βράδυ

(02 UT) μέχρι και περίπου τις 11 UT.

Ωραία εμπειρία. Δεν είδαμε εκατοντάδες (η χιλιάδες)

αλλά και δεν περιμέναμε να δούμε. Πολλές

φορές αυτά τα πράγματα περνάνε από τα MME

και κάτι χάνεται στη μετάφραση.

Τόλης.

Σύνδεσμος για σχόλιο

καλησπέρα! τώρα πρόλαβα να ρίξω μια ματιά στο τι έγινε με τα μειλς...

Πράγματι οι περισσότερες αναφορές ήταν μηδενικές ή με ελάχιστους διάττοντες. Οπότε καθόλου παράλογο που δεν είδαμε κάτι από δω (ή ελάχιστους!).

Το διάγραμμα από τους οπτικούς παρατηρητές του ΙΜΟ

http://www.imo.net/live/cameleopardalids2014/

όπου φαίνεται να φτάνει το πολύ στο ZHR=20, αρκετά πιο χαμηλό από τις προβλέψεις (που σημαίνει ότι χρειαζόμαστε ακόμα τους παρατηρητές για επιβεβαιώσεις/αναιρέσεις προβλέψεων).

Ωραία εμπειρία. Δεν είδαμε εκατοντάδες (η χιλιάδες)

αλλά και δεν περιμέναμε να δούμε. Πολλές

φορές αυτά τα πράγματα περνάνε από τα MME

και κάτι χάνεται στη μετάφραση.

Τόλη, προφανώς και τα ΜΜΕ κάνουν τα πάντα για να τραβήξουν κόσμο, αλλά είχαν προταθεί μεγάλες τιμές ZHR οπότε αναμενόταν κάπως κάτι εξαιρετικά ενδιαφέρον. Άραγε είναι αυτό "ενδιαφέρον" για τους μοντελιστές ?

O Michael Maslov ήδη προτείνει ότι ένα νεαρότερο "ρεύμα" θα συναντηθεί με τη Γη το 2019 με ZHR~5.

( http://lists.meteorobs.org/pipermail/meteorobs/2014-May/017118.html )

Γρηγόρης

Σύνδεσμος για σχόλιο

Γρηγόρη,

Καταλαβαίνω τι λες. Στη συγκεκριμένη περίπτωση

είχαμε προβλέψεις από 4 πηγές (κοίτα http://meteor.seti.org/).

Από αυτές, προβλέψεις για ένταση (δηλ ΖΗR)

είχαν οι τρείς. Αυτό που πέρασε στα ψιλά ήταν

ότι αυτές έγιναν με την υπόθεση ότι

ο κομήτης ήταν "τυπικός" ως αναφορά την

παραγωγή σκόνης (μετεωροειδών).

Αυτό έγινε διότι το σύννεφο σκόνης από το

οποίο θα πέρναγε η Γη ελευθερώθηκε από

τον κομήτη στα τέλη του 19ου/αρχές του 20ου

αιώνα, δηλ 100 πριν την ανακάλυψη του!

Όμως, η ανάλυση πρόσφατων παρατηρήσεων (2004, 2009) από

τον Ye και Wiegert έδειξε ότι ο κομήτης είναι "στα τελευταία

του'' και αν η παραγωγικότητά του τότε ήταν ίδια

με τώρα το ZHR ήταν περίπου 2! Δηλ από άποψης και θεάματος

αλλά και συλλογής στοιχείων το πουγγί θα μπορούσε να ήταν και

εντελώς άδειο. Αυτό μας λέει ότι ο κομήτης ήταν σχετικά πιο

ενεργός τότε από αυτό που βλέπουμε τώρα.

Σύνδεσμος για σχόλιο

Ακριβώς αυτό Τόλη! Όλα τα μοντέλα "τρέξανε" με την πιο "αισιόδοξη" προοπτική. Οι Ye και Weigert το επεσήμαναν αυτό. Οπότε... τελικά μας έχει τελειώσει αυτός ο κομήτης!

Ωστόσο, αν και παρατηρησιακά δεν είχε και τόσο ενδιαφέρον από τη πλευρά του θεάματος, είναι σημαντικό να ανδειχτεί η συμβολή όλων στην παρατήρηση που επιβαιβεώνει ή όχι κάποιες υποθέσεις. Αυτό μας δείχνει πόσο δυναμικός και συναρπαστικός είναι ο τομέας των διαττόντων! [βλ και τελευταίο καλό παράδειγμα Δρακοντίδες 2012).

Γρηγόρης

Σύνδεσμος για σχόλιο

Δημιουργήστε έναν λογαριασμό ή συνδεθείτε για να σχολιάσετε

Πρέπει να είσαι μέλος για να αφήσεις ένα σχόλιο

Δημιουργία λογαριασμού

Εγγραφείτε για έναν νέο λογαριασμό στην κοινότητά μας. Είναι εύκολο!.

Εγγραφή νέου λογαριασμού

Συνδεθείτε

Έχετε ήδη λογαριασμό? Συνδεθείτε εδώ.

Συνδεθείτε τώρα
  • Δημιουργία νέου...

Σημαντικές πληροφορίες

Όροι χρήσης